The Dental Assisting program is accredited and nationally recognized for its quality training. Program theory is delivered to you in a classroom setting, and then you practise your skills in our dental lab, which includes fully functional dental operatories (working spaces) and digital radiography units. The program has a ratio of approximately 10 students per instructor to ensure students receive the best guidance and expert advice. By the time you graduate, you will be competent in the entire core skill set recognized across Canada. With successful completion of the National Board Exam, you will be eligible for licensure in all Canadian provinces.
We collaborate with local industry leaders and educational organizations as well as National Dental Assisting organizations to ensure that graduates are able to meet all aspects of the profession of dental assisting.
Other dental-related courses are offered on an ongoing basis via distance delivery. For more information, refer to the Credit Courses page.
This program is located in the Charlottetown Centre Take a virtual tour.
PROGRAM OUTCOME STATEMENTS
The Holland College Dental Assisting program offers current theoretical and practical training designed to graduate dental assistants who display competence consistent with all skills required to work safely, effectively and ethically within a dental practice. Graduates will be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and attitudes required by industry for entry level dental assistants to ensure consistent safety and competency in dental practice.
The Holland College Dental Assisting program develops graduates who are able to:
- Maintain a safe environment for both patients and co-workers
- Display professional conduct appropriate to a dental setting
- Compile and maintain patient records
- Apply principles of practice management in a dental professional setting
- Demonstrate competence in all Intra Oral Dental Assisting core national skills
- Provide instruction regarding disease prevention, post-operative care, nutritional counseling and oral health education to patients and community groups
- Perform required dental laboratory procedures as a member of the dental health care team
- Maintain patient care clinic and laboratory equipment to prescribed health and safety standards
The Holland College Dental Assisting program collaborates with local industry leaders, and educational organizations as well as National Dental Assisting organizations to ensure that graduates are able to meet all aspects of the profession of dental assisting.