The Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Technology (HVAC) program gives you a broad base of training that can lead to two Red Seal trades. You will learn how to install and service HVAC and refrigeration systems for residential and commercial applications. You will train on everything from heat pumps, oil and gas heat, and ventilation equipment to commercial refrigeration walk-in coolers and freezers, rooftop air conditioning units and more. On-the-job training will give you even more experience and expose you to various trades and professions within the field.
This program is located at our Summerside Waterfront Campus. Take a virtual tour.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Technology program at Holland College, graduates will:
- Work safely and in accordance with applicable acts, regulations, legislation, and codes to ensure personal and public safety.
- Select and use a variety of heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning tools and equipment safely and properly.
- Effectively assist with the installation, servicing, and troubleshooting of heating, refrigeration, air conditioning systems, and associated components.
- Solve problems related to heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning by applying the principles of basic technical mathematics, electrical fundamentals, and thermal properties.
- Read and interpret manufacturer specifications, basic blueprints and drawings, including electrical, mechanical, and piping drawings.
- Communicate and work effectively with supervisors, coworkers, other tradespersons, suppliers, and customers.
- Use technology to source information and specifications and to monitor heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning systems.
- Identify strategies for ongoing personal and professional development, that will lead to enhanced work performance and career opportunities, and to keep pace with industry changes.
The Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Technology program is an excellent program to give you a broad base of training that can lead to two Red Seal trades. This program enables you to earn 30 hours of apprenticeship time per week of training and write the Apprenticeship block one exam for Oil Heat System Technician and the Apprenticeship block one exam for Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic, which puts you well on your way to Red Seal certifications. Upon graduation, once you are working with a suitable employer, you will register as an apprentice to complete your journey to challenge the Red Seal exam. When you register, Apprenticeship PEI will give you credit for the hours earned and block exams passed while you were at Holland College.
A Red Seal gives you the ability to work anywhere in Canada without further testing or certification.
This program has degree pathways, giving you the opportunity to receive credit for your Holland College diploma when you continue your education. For a complete list of agreements, visit the Degree Pathways page.
|Details of Agreement
|University of New Brunswick - Saint John, Saint John, N.B.
|Bachelor of Applied Management
|Graduates with a 70% average receive two years of credit toward a Bachelor of Applied Management degree.