This hands-on program prepares you for an entry-level position as an administrative professional in the private sector or in government.
The program focuses on office procedures, office productivity software, written and oral communications, professionalism, interpersonal communications, teamwork, critical thinking, problem-solving, and customer service.
The practical learning activities include computerized accounting, working with and developing spreadsheets, document preparation, and organizing meetings and events, all of which are part of an administrative assistant's duties.
The program includes a four-week on-the-job training component that allows you to apply the skills you learned in an office environment.
When you graduate, you can continue your training by transferring select credits from this program to the Legal Administration or Medical Support Services program.
This program is offered face-to-face on a full time or part time basis. Please note - Participants may be required to have a web-enabled camera and microphone and access to a strong internet connection to participate in this program.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Administrative Assistant program at Holland College, graduates will:
- Demonstrate professionalism and ethical principles in all interactions.
- Support the needs of internal and external stakeholders through the use of accurate terminology and professional communication strategies, both orally and in writing.
- Prepare, key, and proofread standard business documents and correspondence.
- Manage the scheduling, coordination and organization of administrative tasks and workflow within specific deadlines and according to set priorities and procedures.
- Manage files and records using a records management system to ensure confidential, secure, accessible and organized records.
- Operate and provide support to others related to the use of common office equipment and technologies.
- Utilize a variety of computerized software applications such as those used for word processing, creating spreadsheets and developing presentations.
- Apply fundamental accounting/bookkeeping principles and use accounting software to manage accounts.
- Identify strategies for ongoing professional development to remain current with industry changes, enhance work performance and explore career opportunities.