Early Learning Centre: A Lab School
The Early Learning Centre:
- Provides direct experiences and learning opportunities for adult students in the
Early Childhood Care and Education program and other programs at Holland College.
- Provides quality child care services to children and families.
- Provides services to Holland College students, staff, and the general public.
- Creates a centre of excellence based on relationships framed within respectful communication and collaborative teamwork.
The four pillars of the practice at the centre are children, families, students, and colleagues.
Components of a College Lab School
Staff from the Early Childhood Care and Education program assign a spokesperson who collaborates with the director of the Early Learning Centre to identify new learning initiatives, research, curriculum development, and other information regarding the operation and educational programs offered in the centre.
The collaborative initiatives between the Early Years Centre and the Early Childhood Care and Education program address and improve the three major components of maintaining an industry-leading college lab school:
- Developing new knowledge: The centre has participated in action research which helped to create new knowledge for the early childhood sector.
- Innovation: The centre has participated in innovative pilot projects such as an ArtsSmarts project in which the children and staff looked at science curriculum through music, dance, and visual art. A wonderful video was created, The Dance of the Butterfly.
- Collaboration: The centre welcomes many visitors, ranging from the provincial to international level. It is a demonstration site for adult learners at the college, for high schools, and for educators from the early childhood sector.