Holland College | Accelerated correctional officer program
Home > News > 2022 > Accelerated correctional officer program

Accelerated correctional officer program

Canadian residents looking to pursue a career in public safety will once again have an opportunity to receive accelerated training at a reduced cost through a partnership between the Province of P.E.I. and the Atlantic Police Academy.

This is the third year for the partnership, which will provide seats for up to 24 students in a subsidized accelerated correctional services program. The program, which starts February 27, 2023, includes 16 weeks of course work and six weeks of on-the-job training at a provincial correctional centre. Students will be trained in crisis intervention, de-escalation, and communication strategies, crisis management, Canadian law, ethics and professionalism, and workplace health and safety, as well as topics specific to correctional services.

Through the Canada-Prince Edward Island Labour Market Transfer Agreements, each eligible participant will receive a 70 percent subsidy toward tuition costs and other financial supports. The Department of Justice and Public Safety will cover the remaining 30 percent of tuition costs ($2,601) for four of the 24 seats for eligible BIPOC candidates. Graduates of the accelerated corrections program will be offered the opportunity to compete for a position at one of two Island correctional facilities.

“The Atlantic Police Academy is pleased to offer the accelerated corrections program again with the support of the Province,” said Forrest Spencer, executive director of the Atlantic Police Academy. “There is an ongoing need for more professionally trained correctional officers in the public safety sector on the Island. Offering this training with financial incentives is a great way to meet the demand.”

“The partnership with the APA has yielded tangible results for our labour shortage needs in corrections,” said Minister of Justice and Public Safety Darlene Compton. “We need to continue with creative solutions and partnerships to ensure we have the right people in important jobs like correctional services.”

Visit www.gov.pe.ca for more information about the accelerated correctional services program. Apply online on the government website or by completing the downloadable PDF and emailing it to acotp@gov.pe.ca. Applications must be submitted by December 15, 2022. 

The APA will host an open house on Wednesday, November 9 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 66 Argus Avenue in Slemon Park for prospective students to find out more about the program.

Media Contacts

Vicki Tse
Department of Justice and Public Safety
Government of Prince Edward Island
Greg Arsenault
Director of Marketing and Communications
Holland College




For more information about this release, please contact:
Sara Underwood, Media and Communications Officer
Tel: 902-566-9695
Date: Thursday, November 03, 2022