As Holland College's new buildings in Charlottetown prepare to open their doors to students in September, the college honoured the history of the area by naming the newly-formed campus Prince of Wales Campus at a small ceremony in the recently completed Centre for Applied Science and Technology building.
The Prince of Wales Campus includes the Charlottetown Centre, which was home to Prince of Wales College until 1969; the college's administrative offices and Adult Education centre, Montgomery Hall; the Centre for Applied Science and Technology; the Centre for Community Engagement, which should be completed within the next few weeks; the School of Performing Arts, which will be located in a renovated building on Kent Street; and the student residence, Glendenning Hall.
Former students, graduates and staff of Prince of Wales College along with provincial and municipal representatives and the Holland College community attended the special renaming ceremony during the annual Prince of Wales College Reunion Weekend.
"For more than 150 years, the name Prince of Wales College has been synonymous with education on Prince Edward Island and thanks to Holland College renaming its Charlottetown location Prince of Wales Campus, that name will live in perpetuity," stated Dr. John Andrew, speaking on behalf of the Prince of Wales College Alumni.
Holland College President, Dr. Brian McMillan acknowledged the contribution made to the province and the country by the students, graduates, instructors and staff of Prince of Wales College.
"Through its excellence in teaching, and through the high standards and expectations that the college demanded of its students, Prince of Wales set an example of higher education that we at Holland College are inspired to emulate. The designation of this place as Prince of Wales Campus will serve as a reminder of the history and the honour that we, and subsequent generations of learners, are charged with upholding."
In 1804, Prince Edward Island's second Lieutenant Governor, Edmund Fanning, set aside 10 town lots in the east end of Charlottetown, bounded by Grafton, Weymouth, Kent and Cumberland streets for "the purposes of the higher education" of the Island's youth. Over the past 200 years, this site has been the home of Kent College (1821), Central Academy (1832), Prince of Wales College (1860), Holland College (1969) and Holland College Prince of Wales Campus (2011).
"In just two short years, an entire city block has been transformed into this beautiful campus that now defines the eastern entrance to our beautiful and historic capital city," commented Michael O'Grady, Vice President of Innovation, Enterprise and Strategic Development at Holland College. "The directions we provided to our architect and builders were clear and challenging - create buildings and a campus that look like they have always been there and will always be here. I believe we have succeeded: the Prince of Wales Campus of Holland College is a place where innovation embraces tradition."
Also speaking at the naming ceremony was Prince Edward Island Minister of Environment, Energy and Forestry, Richard Brown. The Government of Prince Edward Island is a proud partner in the redevelopment of Holland College and the newly-named Prince of Wales Campus," Brown stated. "Investing in post-secondary education is a key component of our economic strategy."
In this picture: Michael O'Grady, Vice-President Innovation, Enterprise and Strategic Development at Holland College; Dr. John Andrew, President of the Prince of Wales College Alumni Association; Hon. Richard Brown, PEI's Minister of Environment, Energy and Forestry; and Holland College President, Dr. Brian McMillan.
For more information about this release, please contact:
Sara Underwood, Media and Communications Officer
Date: Monday, August 01, 2011